A Honolulu Backyard BRICK Oven
Building & Baking Adventure


Current Construction Progress: Final Layer of Insulation Done. Initial Firing!

Saturday, August 28, 2010

Hearth, First Course and Arch Mortared

Okay, this is what happened today.

I laid down the hearth firebricks on to the insulating 2.5 inch thick pad. The bricks are laid without mortar. Then I mortared the first course of bricks of the dome on these hearth firebricks. Also I did the arch for the oven's door area and within this arch I made a smoke chimney!


I was working full time and didn't have a chance (dirty dusty clothes, etc.) to take step by step pictures. A lot done and it all looks nice. Later on when the dome is completed, I'll cut off the firebricks that are poking out the bottom.




The arch I made in place. I used loose brick (removed partially for photo) below the arch for support. The midpoint of the arch is exactly 9 inches high. The span of the arch is 20 inches.



I think I'll give this all a week to harden up. The 2.5 inch thick insulating cement layer below all these bricks is still somewhat plastic. It's been over three days too!

Oh and this is how I used to make my arches, back in the day:


Original Olympic Arena Archway Entrance, Greece

1 comment: