A Honolulu Backyard BRICK Oven
Building & Baking Adventure


Current Construction Progress: Final Layer of Insulation Done. Initial Firing!

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

First Foundation Course Done!

Clearing out area in the garden for the oven:








Note the low stone wall in the background. I will be using it's footing for the back of my foundation support for the oven.


 

  

Trying out the final design on a sidewalk adjacent to the actual place the oven will be (above pic.)
The foundation will be 41 1/2 inches wide by 48 inches long. This longer part will be for the loading area of the oven...





After much fooling around with string and a line level, finally I got the first course of hollow tile all laid out nicely nice:



Tomorrow I'll lay in some re-bar and also fully grout the hollow tile. Oh, for a footing I just put in around 6 inches of gravel and then laid the hollow tile on top of it. I want to save some cement/money by not having a concrete footing. Instead, I'll fully re-bar the first course and also the top course and do a full row of grout,  top and bottom. I'll also grout/re-bar the four corners and two in the middle on the longer sides.

I also will just dry stack the hollow tile in between the bottom and the top course of hollow tiles.

No comments:

Post a Comment