A Honolulu Backyard BRICK Oven
Building & Baking Adventure


Current Construction Progress: Final Layer of Insulation Done. Initial Firing!

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Insulation of Oven

To start, I placed aluminum foil all over the dome like so:


This will reflect some of the heat back into the oven. I had some spare rolls of aluminum foil in my kitchen.

I also picked up some 3 1/2 inch thick insulation batting (15 inches wide by 32 feet long) from Home Depot for $9.81:


That along with the chicken wire I purchased earlier from City Mill ($17.68) was applied to the outside of the dome:




The insulation from Home Depot was the easy to cut and assemble. I used a plain desk stapler to join the layers together (I initially used duct tape, but believe me staples work much much better and faster too!)

I then applied a vermiculite cement mixture over the paper backing of the insulation, embedding the chicken wire into the vermiculite mix for strength.


I bought the  6 cubic feet bag of vermiculite for $45.70 from Pacific Agriculture Sales at Campbell Industrial Park, 91-262 Ola'i Street. Phone 808-682-5113.

  

When everything is finished, I'll have around 7 1/2 inches of isulation around the top of the oven's dome and around 5 1/2 inches all around the sides.

I picked up another 94 pound bad of Hawaiian Cement from City Mill for $17.04.

No comments:

Post a Comment